Friday, February 20, 2009

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA! (Nov 2008)

I (would have) Voted For Change
The Non-American American Perspective in this "Defining Moment"

I have lived in this country since 1997. Like millions of legally
documented aliens I came to this country on a student visa and stayed
on for jobs and for more higher education. While I appreciated the
greatness of American opportunity, I was never in love with America.
The fact is that many of us are not really happy here. We have adapted
in certain ways and we go about our lives, but we do not feel we
belong. We long for our homes and our families that we left behind.
However, yesterday's rousing Obama victory definitely made a
difference to my ownership of the American experience.

I lived in "fake" Virginia in 2002 and faced the unusual onslaught of
snipers, anthrax, and post 9/11 fear mongering. In the 2002 elections,
I remember feeling disenfranchised – the beauty of this country is
that you can live your little isolated life here without realizing you
are a foreigner, until elections or some rude racism suddenly hits
you. It hit me then. I bemoaned the blank check that had been provided
to the idiotic George Bush, and was frustrated with the scary turn the
country had taken. Even more infuriating was not being able to express
my voice in the process. My college Clinton years contrasted so
strongly with the Bush years that I just couldn't understand why the
American people would so easily allow this madman to take over their
country.

Eight years later, the American people expressed their disgust, and
their regret, by electing the first African American president. They
rallied around a man who transcended race, partisan politics, and ran
on a platform of intelligence and optimism. Not all of them of course
- this country is still scared of the prospects of having a non-white
person in charge, and their irrational "clinging to guns and religion"
will continue to puzzle me. But I'll take it.

As with the rest of the world, this election has been historic for me.
I have tracked its developments almost every day for the past two
years. I had supported Hillary Clinton in the primaries because her
being the first credible woman candidate was extremely important to
me. I was with her all the way until the 3 am ad, which disturbed me
in its negativity. I then started looking at Obama more seriously. The
inexperienced candidate had always exuded charm and hope, but his
crystallizing policies gave me much assurance. Particularly, in the
presidential elections, there was no contest. The horror of Sarah
Palin, offensive in its attempt to try and attract the Hillary female
vote, and the craziness of "fighter" John McCain could barely measure
up to the awesomeness that is Barack Obama. I still cannot believe
that what was considered impossible has been achieved. The thought of
an intelligent, responsible, high minded president who embraces
diversity in the White House has brought tears to my eyes. I guess I
feel more like an American than I had realized.

To reiterate, I still don't think I am in love with America. And I
cannot say I am proud to be an American, because I am not. But today I
feel proud to be in America.

OBAMA! OBAMA! OBAMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment